Google

Thursday, July 31, 2014

FIT MAMA ROBYN


I feel honored Carisa asked me to be included in her Fit Mama series! I am a mom of two boys with a baby girl on the way. Our first son, Collin, was born premature and passed away 3 days after he was born. Ethan is an active, energetic, and sweet 2 ½ year old who constantly keeps me on my toes. Our baby girl is coming in November and we are so excited! Chris, my husband, works for Sorenson Capital, a private equity firm in Lehi, Utah. 


I have always loved being active! Growing up my mom was constantly taking us kids on hikes, bike rides, swimming or to the park for kickball or kick-the-can. I competed heavily in Gymnastics until I was 12 when my family moved to Shanghai, China. I attended Shanghai American School and fell in love with any and all sports. I played basketball, softball, track and rugby. My friends thought I was crazy because I LOVED going to practice and workouts. 


I was happy to continue athletics at BYU as I was on the Rugby team for my freshman and sophomore year. I then decided that I needed to focus on the accounting program and being a wife so after lots of thought I quit Rugby. Thankfully, while I was on the Rugby team I made great friends who got me into distance running – something I could keep up, without the rigor and time commitment of a collegiate sports team. Shortly after quitting rugby, I ran my first marathon in Logan with one of my best friends. Chris thought I was crazy for running that far and said he would never have any interest in running a marathon. 

Just one year after my marathon, I gave birth to our first son Collin, who passed away. It was a very difficult time for us. I wanted to get back into shape and told Chris I was going to run another marathon. To my surprise and delight, he told me he wanted to run it with me! We trained together and have so many fond memories of that time. We crossed the finish line, hand in hand, of the Salt Lake marathon 8 months after Collin was born.  Since then, I have run a number of half marathons, had another baby, competed in a number of sprint triathlons and am now pregnant again :) 


I am excited to start training for another marathon after our baby girl comes! 

Here are a few tips that have helped motivate me when it comes to exercise. 

Tip #1 Find exercise buddies! This is the biggest tip I can give. I look forward to working out every morning because it is my time to socialize. Especially as life gets busy with your kids it’s so important to have time to interact and visit with adults! Working out is the perfect time! If you can, work out with your spouse. Chris is always my favorite work out buddy!


Tip #2 Decide ahead of time.  Decide how many times you are going to work out each week and what time of day you are going to work out and then don’t think about it when it comes to that time – just do it! I love to work out in the mornings. I set my alarm and then I don’t snooze. I don’t let myself decide early in the morning if I’m going back to sleep or waking up, the decision is already made. Don’t think, just do.

Tip #3 Make exercise fun and include your kids when you can. Take your kids on bike rides. I highly recommend either a bike trailer or bike seat for your baby (I currently have the Bell Cocoon bike seat from target). Ethan loves it and I get a great work out! Hike with your kids in the summer, Snowshoe, and sled with them in the winter (a hiking carrier is another great investment!)



Tip #4 Join a local gym and hit up the exercise classes! If you don’t know what workouts to do go to a class. Zumba is always one of my favorites.

Tip #5 Sign up for a race. I love racing. It’s probably the competitiveness in me.

Tip #6 Cross train. If you’re sick of running, give biking a try, or swimming (triathlons have become a new favorite of mine). 

I absolutely love being active. Here are a few benefits I’ve found from working out and living an active lifestyle:
  • I have more energy throughout the day. 
  • I make healthier choices for meals and snacks. 
  • I am happier which in turn makes Ethan happier and Chris happier. Happy mom… happy family.
  • It sets a great example for my kids and promotes a healthy lifestyle for them. Ethan absolutely loves being outside just like his mom! 

Good luck with your journey to a healthier, more active lifestyle! I know you can do it!

                                                                                                                                        --Robyn

I am so glad that Robyn was willing to share her inspirational story here. I met her in college and knew immediately that she was a strong and talented woman--I mean... she played Rugby, for crying out loud! 

As life has gone on, Robyn has faced some incredible trials and pushed past each and every one of them to become even stronger. She's just amazing!!! I hope that you were touched by her story and find a little inspiration to keep going today!

If you missed the other posts in the series, be sure to check them out...





Carisa
DESCRIPTION OF LINK Share on Google+ Email Link

2 comments:

I'd love to hear from you!