Google

Thursday, August 28, 2014

FIT MAMA AMANDA


Hello! First of all, thanks Carisa for asking me to write about my personal fitness life and for creating this blog series! It’s a great way for all of us women to get inspired with staying fit and active. 

To start off, you have to know I was born a “gym rat”. Both parents played college sports and sports were a HUGE part of my growing up years. Sports have really helped instill a passion and dedication to live a healthy and active lifestyle. I was also blessed to play for a top 25 Division 1 Volleyball program and play internationally as well. Those experiences introduced me to a lot of talented people with a lot of helpful fitness and nutrition tips. A few years after college, I became a personal trainer too and loved helping others achieve their goals! I am married now and a stay at home mom with two young kids.



Here are some tips to share with you all.

Tip #1 Positive thinking. Most of the time us women are so hard on ourselves! We need to love ourselves. To take it one step further and get to my point, exercise positive thinking while you’re working out. Think positive statements like “I can do this” or “It will get easier the more I do this” or “Good job for working out today!" I promise you, you will increase your stamina and happiness overall during your workout. You may be slow, or even feel sluggish one day, but you are out being active so make sure and be nice to yourself! Don’t focus on how you may look but more about how you feel instead. It helps me whether I’m being hard on myself, just feeling lazy that day, or bouncing back from having a baby.

Tip #2 Put your gym clothes on.  Chances are if you put your work out clothes on, you are bound to do some type of physical activity within the hour! Whether that’s working out from home or heading to the gym. It’s a great motivator when you are struggling to find the motivation to include fitness that day.



Tip #3 Drink water. I can’t tell you HOW many people I have worked with who have struggled drinking water daily. I have even seen some clients lose up to 5 pounds immediately after eliminating all soda, sugar drinks, etc from their diet. Buy a fun water bottle that can get you excited about it, or you can put some fruit/lemons or mint in it, and take it with you always! You will drink more throughout the day, which can also help regulate your hunger cues, which in turn, can help portion control. It’s fabulous.  

Tip #4 Lift weights. Pretty self explanatory but I find that a lot of women shy away from lifting weights. We cannot rely solely on cardio to get us toned and healthy. You will not look like a bodybuilder unless you lift that way. To gain lean muscles and help eliminate fat, do high reps with low weight (body resistance even). And remember… muscle weighs more than fat!! So don’t worry if you gain a few pounds at first, I promise your body will convert the fat and help you slim down if you maintain the appropriate fitness regime. Keep at it. 

Tip #5  Do it for yourself, but also do it for your kids.  It is important for our own health to stay active, but it’s just as crucial that we teach our children the importance of living a healthy lifestyle! They will learn by seeing you, as their mother, put fitness and healthy living as a top priority. So find something fun that you enjoy and stay active! Make it a family event and sign up for a 5k run/walk that the whole family can enjoy, go for a fun hike, or get the kids involved in a sport. This generation needs our examples and encouragement to see how living an active life will benefit them for the rest of their lives.


I have to tell you that although I have been an active person my entire life, it has been A LOT harder since I’ve become a mother to include fitness in my daily schedule. I know most moms can relate. I have had to commit over and over again to my own personal fitness goals. I try to keep the positivity flowing so I never feel like it’s been too long to get started again and to get fit. I tell myself, Just do it! Whether I feel up to it or not that day. Even on the really hard days, I have never regretted it afterward. Overall, I feel like my best self when I maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. I am better for my husband, my two kids, and for myself.

                                                       -Amanda

Thanks so much Amanda! These tips are awesome and full of great information to help moms everywhere be a little more fit... I'm so grateful to have you as a running buddy and a friend!

If you have missed any of the posts in this series you can read them on my Fit Mama Series Page

Here are the most recent posts:

(my mom)



Carisa
DESCRIPTION OF LINK Share on Google+ Email Link

6 comments:

  1. Great tips. Water is a big challenge for me. I like to drink it but drinking the daily recommended amount is a struggle sometimes. I'll have to give getting a fun water bottle a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really struggle with water, too. The water here doesn't taste very good. I miss fresh water from when we lived in Utah. I am gonna try the fun water bottle too! Hope it works for you :)

      Delete
  2. How fun, I love volleyball! Where does Amanda blog at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda is a really good friend of mine, she doesn't actually blog.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!