Google

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

HOW TO BE THE BEST MOM YOU CAN BE


This summer has been very eye-opening to me. We have faced a lot of challenges--emotional, physical and financial. Honestly, I've had some bad days this summer, where I haven't been the best mom. That is hard for me to admit. But, I have two beautiful, smart, adorable children who love me as their mother... no matter what!


I'm writing this post because my children deserve the best mom that I can be. The point of this life is for us to learn how to become better through each challenge we face. So I needed to sit down and hash out what I've learned this summer so that I can become a better mother to my kids...


As parents we have a responsibility to love and care for our children. That is our number one responsibility. Each home has different needs and works a little differently and that's okay. No matter the situation, all mothers have one thing in common... they love and care for their children. Sometimes, we get caught up in all of our stresses and we lose focus and get a little off balance.

The last couple of weeks, I have realized that I need to find a better balance in my life so that I can be a better mom. That age old saying "If mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"is very true. A mother sets the tone in the home. I want to be a happy mom and have a happy home with my happy kiddos (and a happy husband, too)!


So here are 5 tips, simple tips, that I've discovered this summer... I definitely haven't mastered any of them, but I have noticed that when I do these things I am happier and so is my family.

Tip #1 Take time to take care of yourself. This isn't selfish. If you are not physically, emotionally and mentally healthy, how will you be able to provide for your little ones?

Take care of your body. Eat good foods that will help you have the energy to chase your kids around the park. Take a little time to exercise so that you are strong enough to lift your kids up and give them giant bear hugs!

Take time to unwind and feel rejuvenated. For me this means, letting things go of all things that I wasn't able to cross off my daily to-do list. It also means try to get a good nights sleep... if possible.


Take time to let yourself feel beautiful and like an adult. For me, sometimes days go by without a decent shower. Sometimes I feel like I haven't had a real conversation in so long that I might forget how... So when you have opportunities to get dressed up and be with other adults, take advantage of them! In fact, make opportunities... I try to get dressed up for date nights with Scott even if we are staying at home because it helps me feel like a beautiful and REAL person. I know Scott thinks I'm beautiful in my comfy clothes, but sometimes getting dressed up helps me recharge emotionally and remember that I'm more than just a mom.

Tip #2 Engage. No matter what you are doing, be 100% there. Be there for your kids. When you go to the park, take time to play with your kids for just a minute or two. Make them smile! I don't play with them the whole time I'm at the park because I usually go to the park with other moms and like to actually enjoy a little socializing!

Find times to sit down and engage with your kids at home. Teach them, play with them, read to them. Even if its just for a couple minutes. More importantly, involve them in your daily tasks. Those tasks that become monotonous. Sometimes I'll make up jobs so that Lanae has something to do while I'm working in the kitchen. I love her company and she loves feeling like she's needed, too.


Tip #3 Make a plan and stick to it. This is definitely something that I need to work on. Everyday we have things we need to do. I usually try to plan at least 1 outing or playdate a day--it doesn't always happen. But it's very helpful to get out of the house and have a change of scenery.

My kids definitely have quite a bit of time that is considered independent play time so that I can get some of my other responsibilities taken care of. Sometimes I spend too much time on these other responsibilities. Even though they are important, I need to remember my kids are most important!

This summer we have had a lot of fun lessons and Lanae loves them and looks forward to them. But there are days when I plan to have a lesson and then just never get to it... I hate telling her that I'm going to do something and then letting her down when I don't follow through. I'm not setting a great example for her by saying I'll do something and then not actually doing it! I'm so grateful that she's so quick to forgive, but I know that I could eventually lose her trust if I don't become better at following through!

This tip is important for me.



Tip #4 Get down on the floor. Make time to play with your kids on their level. I will often take 5-10 minute breaks throughout the day when they are playing to check up on them. Bounce on the bed with them. Roll around and chase them around the living room. Play hide and seek!

Tip #5 Never pass up an opportunity to snuggle. This may not be applicable to moms with older kids. But I sure hope my kids will want to snuggle with me for a long time. I love it when Lanae says, "Snuggle Mommy!" Take the time to snuggle because one day they may not want to snuggle any more. I really hope that never happens! But in reality, I know it probably will!


So I choose now, to take better advantage of the snuggles and to let them fill my soul with joy! When life is full of lemons, it is in the littlest moments with my children that I remember my purpose and feel like I have a more eternal perspective. It is with my children that I find the strength to become the best mom that I can be!

Looking for some more tips???




Carisa
DESCRIPTION OF LINK Share on Google+ Email Link

5 comments:

  1. I must admit that I don't snuggle with my kids enough. I really don't.
    I love this post, and I've pinned it. Thanks for your tips. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed to recognize that I should take advantage of snuggles now cause they won't last forever!!! Thanks for pinning.

      Delete
  2. I love these! It can be hard on days when you are just exhausted or feeling tired, but we really are the most important people in our kids' lives and we need to be there for them because they rely 100% on us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said about them relying on us. Thanks, Chelsea!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!